If you're looking for the blog belonging to Mary Hood, author of "The Relaxed Home School", please visit The Relaxed Homeschooler. Their website is Archers for the Lord.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Reading & Vocabulary

Memorizing Psalm 105, 1-6, hopefully in time for Thanksgiving.

Reading "The Story of Our Nation" aloud to everyone.

As we read today, ship was referred to as "vessel" several times. I stopped and asked, "What is a vessel?"

I cupped my hands together and explained that "vessel" refers to a container for holding things. Then gave several examples...this cup (pointing to my coffee cup) is a vessel for holding drinks. And always pointed out that the Bible refers to us as vessels.

I tried to reinforce this "relevant" vocabulary word by prompting several more times throughout the day..."Now what does 'vessel' mean?"

Vocabulary words, in my opinion, are best learned in the context of information, rather than standing alone in a list.

No comments: